Internships: Wildlife Hospital
Wildlife Hospital Internships
WildCare offers internships in our Wildlife Hospital during the spring and summer months. Interns have the opportunity to work hands-on with our wild patients and gain extensive experience learning from our medical staff.
Internships are available as a three- or six-month commitment. Interns will work a 40-hour work week in the Wildlife Hospital. (Note: for current hospital volunteers who qualify but are unable to make the 40-hour/week commitment, a 24-hour/week volunteer, non-stipend-supported internship position may be arranged.)
Interns will be assigned work shifts in either the Birdroom or the Clinic, and interns will be scheduled to work all of the available shift times (7am – 3pm, 9am – 5pm, 1pm – 9pm).
A stipend of $120/week will be provided.
Spring Term begins the first week of April and will extend until the last week of June.
Summer Term begins the first week of July and will extend to the last week of September.
Interns doing the 6-month internship will commit to both terms (April 1 – September 30).
2021 Internship Terms
- April 1 – June 30 (Applications not accepted after March 1)
- July 1 – September 30 (Applications not accepted after June 1)
- April 1 – September 30 (6-Month Term) (Applications not accepted after March 1)
Learn more in our video
(Note: the captions in this video contain outdated information. Please refer to criteria listed above for 2021 requirements.)
Expectations and Responsibilities of Interns
- All interns will receive a manual to supplement their learning experience
- A workbook will be given and interns are expected to work through it in the duration of the internship. A final exam will be given at the completion
of the intern’s session.
- Interns will be involved in all aspects of patient care including but not limited to triage, medical examinations, participating in lab work
(radiographs, bloodworm, and fecals), dosing and administering medications, splinting, and handling and restraint. Interns will also assist staff and volunteers with cage cleaning, food preparation, dishes, laundry and other support tasks.
- All interns are expected to attend any training classes that are held at WildCare, however, these are not mandatory.
- All interns must read and sign required paperwork and a commitment contract.
- As interns are considered staff, they are expected to adhere to their schedule as such. Interns are allowed one sick day during the term. Any
vacation time must be agreed upon BEFORE contracts are signed and term has begun.
- All hours missed will need to be supplemented by the end of the internship
- We do not provide housing or transportation, although a stipend of $120/week will be provided.